Gender-based violence is one of the most pervasive forms of human rights violations and has risen significantly during COVID-19. Data indicates that marginalized communities experience disproportionate rates of gender-based violence due to structural discrimination and systemic forms of oppression.
Gender-based violence affects everyone, and Canadians collectively spend a lot to deal with the aftermath each year. There are many resources available to address the impacts of gender-based violence on individuals and to offset the costs of violence related to social, health, justice, employment and community supports. As a society, we can do a lot for survivors by believing them and supporting them in their journey towards coming back to life.
Learn More About Family Violence
Family violence can show up in many ways. In this video, Amira Abed talks about the different forms of abuse and the various ways abuse can manifest itself.
Family violence affects everyone, including employers and coworkers. In this video, Ayodeji Adetimehin talks about violence as a social and workplace issue. Let's work collectively to take action on family violence!
Family violence varies for every person and relationship. In this video, Bela Gupta, talks about the common warning signs of abuse and how we can be part of the person's natural supports.
Humaira Falak demonstrates resilience as she shares her journey in overcoming the obstacles after experiencing violence.
Find Support in Alberta
If you are in immediate DANGER or fear for your safety, please CALL 911.
- Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services (AASAS)
- Alberta Victim Services
- Alberta Human Services – 24/7 Help Line for Domestic Abuse
- Alberta Council of Women’s Shelters – 24/7 Staffed Shelters
- Calgary Immigrant Women's Association (Family Conflict Prevention Program)
Crisis Lines (24/7)
- Distress Centre: 403-266-4357
- Alberta One-Line (for sexual violence): 1-866-403 8000
- Alberta Provincial Abuse Helpline: 1-855-4HELPAB (1-855-443-5722)
- Calgary Communities against Sexual Abuse: 1-877-237-5888 OR 403-237-6905
- Calgary Police Victim Assistance Unit: 403-428-8398
- Calgary Sexual Assault Response Team (CSART): 403- 955-6030
- Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse: 1-877-237-5888
- Central Alberta Sexual Assault Centre: 1-866-956 1099
- Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-387-KIDS (5437)
- Connect Network:
- 24-Hour Family Violence Help Line: 403-234-7233 (SAFE)
- 24-Hour Toll-Free (in Alberta): 1-866-606-7233 (SAFE)
- Dragonfly Counselling and Support Centre (Bonnyville): 1-780-812-3174
- Lloydminster Sexual Assault Services: 1-306-825-8255
- Waypoints: 1-780-791-6708 (Sexual Trauma Support)
- 780-743-1190 (Family Violence Support)
- Pace Community Support Sexual Assault & Trauma Centre: 1-888-377-3223
- YWCA Lethbridge Amethyst Project: 1-866-296-0477 (Sexual Assault Support)
Women's Emergency Shelters in Calgary
- The Brenda Strafford Centre: 403-270-7240
- Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter: 403-234-7233
- Discovery House: 403-670-0467
- Kerby Rotary Shelter (for 55 years and older): 403-705-3250
- Sheriff King Home: 403-266-0707
- Sonshine Centre: 403-243-2002