Learn About Domestic Violence
Gender-based violence affects everyone, and Canadians collectively spend a lot to deal with the aftermath each year. There are many resources available to address the impacts of gender-based violence on individuals and to offset the costs of violence related to social, health, justice, employment and community supports. As a society, we can do a lot for survivors by believing them and supporting them in their journey towards coming back to life.
Learn More About Family Violence
CIWA aims to raise the awareness of employers and community members about family violence among immigrant women. These resources will enhance viewer knowledge and ability to recognize signs and respond to disclosures of family violence. Contact our Family Conflict Prevention Program for further information and support: 403-263-4414 or email@example.com.
Family violence can show up in many ways. In this video, Amira Abed talks about the different forms of abuse and the various ways abuse can manifest itself.
Humaira Falak, ‘Empowering Resilience’, as she shares her journey in overcoming the obstacles after experiencing violence.
Send your feedback
Please answer this 3-minute survey: Newcomer women | Employers & Service Providers
Find Support in Alberta
If you are in immediate DANGER or fear for your safety, please CALL 911.
Crisis Lines (24/7)
- Distress Centre: 403-266-4357
- Alberta One-Line (for sexual violence): 1-866-403 8000
- Alberta Provincial Abuse Helpline: 1-855-4HELPAB (1-855-443-5722)
- Calgary Communities against Sexual Abuse: 1-877-237-5888 OR 403-237-6905
- Calgary Police Victim Assistance Unit: 403-428-8398
- Calgary Sexual Assault Response Team (CSART): 403- 955-6030
- Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse: 1-877-237-5888
- Central Alberta Sexual Assault Centre: 1-866-956 1099
- Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-387-KIDS (5437)
- Connect Network:
- 24-Hour Family Violence Help Line: 403-234-7233 (SAFE)
- 24-Hour Toll-Free (in Alberta): 1-866-606-7233 (SAFE)
- Dragonfly Counselling and Support Centre (Bonnyville): 1-780-812-3174
- Lloydminster Sexual Assault Services: 1-306-825-8255
- Waypoints: 1-780-791-6708 (Sexual Trauma Support)
- 780-743-1190 (Family Violence Support)
- Pace Community Support Sexual Assault & Trauma Centre: 1-888-377-3223
- YWCA Lethbridge Amethyst Project: 1-866-296-0477 (Sexual Assault Support)
Women’s Emergency Shelters in Calgary
- The Brenda Strafford Centre: 403-270-7240
- Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter: 403-234-7233
- Discovery House: 403-670-0467
- Kerby Rotary Shelter (for 55 years and older): 403-705-3250
- Sheriff King Home: 403-266-0707
- Sonshine Centre: 403-243-2002