Now accepting applications - Gerda R. Bloemraad Educational Scholarship
Gerda R. Bloemraad came to Canada from the Netherlands in 1975. A lawyer by profession, she went through typical integration challenges faced by a majority of newcomers to Canada. Along with improving her language proficiency and adjusting to cultural differences she had to go back to school before she could practice law in Canada. Shortly after her retirement, Gerda joined the Calgary Immigrant Women’s Association in 2007, where she served as the President and Board Chair until early 2013. Gerda’s passion for the wellbeing of immigrant women in Calgary inspired her philanthropic engagement through this scholarship. She remains active and involved in the community and a huge supporter of CIWA and its clients.
To provide financial assistance to CIWA client(s) or volunteer(s) who wish to further their education in a chosen course or program at an accredited institution.
Number and Value of Scholarship:
- Total of $4000 available in scholarships
- One or more scholarships can be awarded, as determined by the Selection Committee
This Scholarship is open to CIWA clients or volunteers who are between 18-30 years of age and have lived in Canada for less than five years
- Download the application form here.
- Review the eligibility criteria, application requirements, and instructions for completion and submission.
- Send the completed application form (along with two reference letters) by May 28, 2021. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The award will be presented at the CIWA AGM on June 23, 2020. The selected candidate must be present in person to receive the award.